Naar Public transport

Public transport allowance

If you are doing a programme or internship abroad, you can apply for a public transport allowance instead of the student travel product. For 2024, the public transport allowance is €114.92 per month.


You can get a public transport allowance in either of these situations:

  • You are taking a full study programme abroad and will receive student finance for this.
  • You are going abroad temporarily, as part of your Dutch study programme. For instance to take a few courses or for an internship. You remain enrolled as a full time student with your Dutch programme.


Full programme abroad

If you are taking a full programme abroad, you can arrange the public transport allowance when you apply for student finance. You don’t need to send any supporting documents.

I already have student finance

Do you already have student finance for your programme abroad, but no public transport allowance? Use the 'Wijzigingen student hoger onderwijs buitenland' form or the 'Wijziging student mbo buitenland' form to apply.

Going abroad temporarily

If you’re going abroad temporarily as part of your Dutch programme, you need to apply for the public transport allowance separately. Do this in time, preferably 2 months before leaving.

  1. Download the 'Verklaring onderwijsinstelling’ form and have it completed by your educational institution.
  2. Log in to Mijn DUO and apply for the public transport allowance. Go to 'Mijn producten' and choose 'Studiefinanciering' or 'Reisproduct onder de 18'. Under 'Reisvoorziening', choose 'Wijzigen'.
  3. Upload the form with your application. You will be notified when your request has been processed.

Log in to Mijn DUOwith DigiD

Eligible from when?

The public transport allowance will not take effect earlier than the month following your application. If your programme or internship starts on the 1st of the month, you are eligible for the compensation from this month. If it starts later, the compensation will take effect the month after.

Eligible for how long?

You can receive the public transport allowance as long as you are eligible for the student travel product.

The amount of the allowance is determined per calendar year. That is why the notification will only state the public transport allowance up to and including December. If your entitlement extends beyond December, you will receive a new notification as soon as the allowance for the following year has been determined.

Cancelling your student travel product

If you receive a public transport allowance, you must cancel your student travel product. This is only possible in the Netherlands, so make sure you have done this before travelling abroad. If you do not cancel in time, you will not get an allowance for the months during which you still have a travel product.

Returning to the Netherlands

After returning to the Netherlands, you can reactivate your old student travel product at a pick-up device Link opent externe pagina .

Returning earlier

If you are coming back earlier than planned, let us know via Mijn DUO. Do this in the month before you want to start using your student travel product again.

  1. Log in to Mijn DUO.
  2. Go to 'Studiefinanciering' and choose 'Mijn producten'.
  3. Click on 'Wijzigen' under 'Reisvoorziening'.
  4. Choose your subscription.

If you cannot log in, please use the 'Wijzigen studentenreisproduct' form.

Internship extended

You need to apply for a new public transport allowance to cover the rest of your stay. You can arrange this by completing the ‘Aanvraag ov-vergoeding buitenland en/of uitwonendenbeurs’ form. Part of the form needs to be completed by your educational institution.

Course or internship cancelled

Notify us as soon as possible via Mijn DUO that you want a weekday or weekend subscription rather than a public transport allowance. Even if you have not cancelled your student travel product yet.

If you cannot log in to Mijn DUO, please use the ‘Wijzigen studentenreisproduct’ form. It will take slightly longer until you can pick up your travel product.