Naar Home

Reporting a death

If the deceased person was registered in the Netherlands, you will not have to report his or her death to DUO – the relevant municipality will do this. However, if the person concerned lived abroad, you will have to report the death to DUO yourself. You can do this by telephone or via email. We will ask you to present the death certificate.

Remission of debt

All debts owed by a deceased person will be remitted. DUO will not recover the debt from his or her partner, children or other family members. This applies to all types of debts payable to DUO.