Asylum seeker or Ukrainian
Do you hold foreigner asylum status in the Netherlands and do you have an identity document for foreigners? Or do you fall under the Temporary Protection Directive Ukraine Link opent externe pagina ? Then you may be exempt from paying course fees. This is called 'buiteninvorderingstelling'. You have to apply for this yourself.
If you meet all 4 of the following criteria, you do not have to pay course fees:
- You are not eligible for student finance or a grant for students at secondary education because you do not meet the nationality criteria.
- You are unable to pay the course fees. There is also no organisation that pays them for you.
- On 1 August, at the start of the school year, you are 18 years or older and younger than 31.
- One of the following situations applies to you:
- You hold a Foreign Nationals Identity Document type W or W2 ('W' or 'W2' appears next to your photo).
- You hold a type I document for medical treatment for yourself or a family member.
- Your asylum application has been rejected and you are in a repatriation programme.
- Your asylum application has been rejected, but according to COA you cannot be repatriated, for example due to illness.
- Your asylum application has been rejected and you are staying in a family centre.
- You fall under the Temporary Protection Directive Ukraine Link opent externe pagina .
If you have already paid course fees, they cannot be refunded.
Enrolled in MBO programme after 30th birthday
If you are following an MBO programme and if you meet the above conditions 1, 3 and 4, then you sometimes do not have to pay course fees after your 30th birthday.
You do not have to pay course fees if you:
- applied for a tuition fees remission for the 1st time before your 30th birthday
- have been enrolled in your course without interruption
- have been receiving an tuition fees remission annually after your 30th birthday, without interruption
Submit your request before 31 July
Complete the form and send it to DUO by no later than 31 July 2023. You can find the address on the application form.
Do you need help completing the request form? Please contact us.