Loan statement

To find out how much you owe, check 'Mijn schulden' in Mijn DUO. You can find notifications about your debt under ‘Mijn berichten’. These can be printed out. If you need a statement of debt for a mortgage application or tax return, in many cases the information in Mijn DUO is sufficient.

Statement of debt for a mortgage application

In the Netherlands, your student debt or lifelong learning credit is taken into account when calculating how much you can borrow for a mortgage. Most mortgage lenders therefore want proof of this – specifically, the amount of your original debt. DUO has agreed with lenders that you can provide that proof by submitting the notification issued at the start of your repayment phase, stating how much you must pay back each month. You can find this notification in Mijn DUO, under ‘Mijn berichten’.

Which notification?

Which notification you need to submit depends upon when your repayment phase began. If that was before 2017, then you received the notification in January of the year in which your repayment phase started. If it was during or after 2017, you received it 2 months prior to the start of your repayment phase. That is usually in October or November. Are you repaying a lifelong learning credit? You received the notification in January, following the end of your lifelong learning credit.

Can’t find the notification?

If you are unable to find the notification in Mijn DUO, you can request a copy using our online contact form. You will receive this by post within 2 weeks.

Additional repayments

Have you made voluntary additional repayments? Sometimes, mortgage providers take this into account when calculating how much you can borrow. For example, because it has reduced your remaining monthly instalments or because you have cleared your debt entirely. As proof, you can use the confirmation you received after we processed your voluntary payment. Or the notification stating your reduced monthly instalment. If you paid by iDEAL, you should receive this within 3 working days. Otherwise, it can take up to 2 weeks.

Full statement of debt

If you need a more detailed statement of debt, we can e-mail it to you on request. But this is only possible if you have registered a valid e-mail address in Mijn DUO. To protect your privacy, we cannot e-mail notifications, messages or other files. Also, your request must come from the e-mail address registered in Mijn DUO.

To request a full statement of debt, use our online contact form. Depending upon your situation, you will receive the following information:

  • your original debt balance at the start of the repayment phase.
  • your current debt balance, including interest accrued.
  • your current interest rate and its period of validity.
  • the amounts of any additional repayments made and their value dates.
  • your old and new monthly instalments, and their starting dates.
  • the remaining term of your debt.
  • confirmation of full repayment.

Annual statement for Dutch tax authorities

In most cases, you do not need to declare your outstanding student debt when filing a tax return in the Netherlands. For this reason, we do not send you an annual statement as standard. If you do want to know your current debt balance, you can find it in Mijn DUO under ‘Mijn schulden’. And under ‘Schuldhistorie’ you will find the amounts you owed on 31 December of previous years.

Do you live in the Dutch Caribbean? And have you paid off your student debt? Then you will receive an annual statement.

When to declare student debt to the tax authorities?

You do need to declare your outstanding student debt if:

  • the amount outstanding is more than € 3,200 if you are single or more than € 6,400 if you have a partner, and
  • your assets in Box 3 (savings and investments) exceed the exemption threshold. In 2021 that is € 50,000 for single persons or € 100,000 for couples, with the reference date being 1 January 2021.

To find out more, go to the Dutch Tax Authority (Belastingdienst) website Link opent externe pagina .

Public transport statement

You don't have to state your student finance as income when you file a tax return. We can, however, send you a public transport statement if you need it for your declaration.

To do this, complete the Request for public transport statement.

Login problems

If you are unable to log into Mijn DUO, use our online contact form instead to ask for your annual statement.