Problems with your parents

Sometimes we don’t know who your parents are. Or they may not want to cooperate. Even then, you may still receive a supplementary grant.

Income not included in supplementary grant

Have you lost touch with one or both parents? Or do you have a serious dispute with one of them or both? Then you can ask us to leave the parental income out of consideration. You might qualify for a supplementary grant or a higher supplementary grant. That is only possible if you have already applied for a student grant with supplementary grant.

This applies to the following situations:

  • You were not acknowledged by your parent.
  • The contact with your parent was severed before your 12th birthday.
  • You have a serious ongoing dispute with your parent about issues other than just money.
  • Parental authority has been ended by court order.
  • You came to the Netherlands as a refugee without your parent.
  • The whereabouts of your parent are unknown.
  • The child maintenance (alimony) as determined has been uncollectible for at least 12 consecutive months.

If the alimony has been determined, but it has not been uncollectible for at least 12 consecutive months, the amount of the alimony will be deducted from your supplementary grant.

Applying by form

Does one of the above situations apply to you? Then use the form Request leave parental income out of consideration. This form states which supporting documents you must include or submit with a service desk. Sometimes a statement by an specialist is required.

It can take longer to process your request because we have to assess your supporting documents. Do you have any questions about your request? Or would you like advice? Call us on 050-599 83 43. This number is available on business days from 10 am to 12 pm (noon) and from 2 pm to 3 pm.