Working in childcare
Do you hold a diploma from an EEA member state Link opent externe pagina or Switzerland, and would you like to work indefinitely in childcare in the Netherlands? If so, you need to apply for recognition of your foreign professional qualification.
If you would like to work in childcare occasionally or temporarily, you need to register this intention.
- You hold an EEA Link opent externe pagina or Swiss residency permit.
- Your diploma was issued in an EEA member state or Switzerland.
- Your diploma is geared towards working with children and their development.
- You are eligible to work with children in the relevant age group.
For which occupations?
You need to register or apply for recognition for the following occupations:
- employee at a day-care centre
- out-of-school care employee
- multilingual out-of-school chilldcare employee
- pre-school education employee
Apply or register
Apply for recognition of your professional qualification online. The link is in Dutch. Submit all requested supporting documents.
If you cannot apply for recognition of your professional qualification online, use the 'Recognition of EU professional childcare qualifications' form instead.
If you would like to work in childcare occasionally or temporarily, please use the ‘Temporary or occasional services of EU professional qualifications for childcare employees’ form to register.
What happens next
- DUO will verify your diploma with the relevant authorities in the country where your diploma was issued.
- If we cannot verify your diploma, we will ask you for a statement from your foreign educational institution. It must state which study program you have completed.
- We will inform you of our decision.
- If we reject your application or registration, you can lodge an objection.
Recognition of your foreign professional qualification or registration of temporary or occasional work in childcare is free.
Please contact the Diploma Services Department if you have any questions. You can call us on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 12 noon on +31 50 599 77 78. Or send an email to email@example.com.
Last changes made on 06 december 2023