Changing the reference year

In calculating your monthly instalments, we look at your income from 2 years ago. We call this the reference year. If your income has fallen since then, you can ask us to look at a more recent year. We call this reference year rescheduling.

At least 15 percent

One condition for changing your reference year is that your income (including your partner’s, if you have one) has decreased by at least 15 percent compared with the current reference year. If you file tax returns, we consider your aggregate income. Otherwise, we use the taxable salary shown on your annual tax assessment(s).

Minimum income exemption

If you are single and your fall in earnings has left you on a minimum income, we take this into account even if the actual fall is less than 15 per cent. By minimum income we mean an aggregate income or taxable salary lower than the amount shown in the table.

Income 2021 Income 2022 Income 2023
€ 16.806,30 € 17.040,45 € 18.775,05

For 2024 you cannot apply for a change of reference year yet. You can do so from 2 December 2023.

How to request a change of reference year

  1. Log into Mijn DUO to report that your income has fallen.
  2. Go to ‘Mijn schulden’. Select ‘Maandelijkse aflossing’ to see how the amount you currently pay is calculated.
  3. Is your income for 2020 already known? Click on ‘Inkomen gedaald’.
  4. Is your income for 2020 not known yet? Click on ‘Lager maandbedrag aanvragen’ or ‘Inkomen doorgeven’.

Log in to Mijn DUOwith DigiD

Login problems

Even outside the Netherlands, you can log into Mijn DUO with your DigiD. If you are unable to do so for any reason, please use a form Income statement for a request for a lower monthly instalment.