If you are eligible for student finance, you can apply for a supplementary grant. The supplementary grant depends on your parents’ income. We use their income data from 2 years ago.
How much is it?
Use the calculator to find out what the income limit is and how much supplementary grant you can get.
When you apply for student finance, you can apply for the supplementary grant at the same time. You can also apply for it later via Mijn DUO.
Gift or loan
Your supplementary grant is a gift for your first 5 months of higher education (or the first 12 months of secondary vocational education). The rest will be converted into a gift if you gain your diploma within 10 years.
Not the full supplementary grant?
If you do not qualify for the full supplementary grant, you can still borrow the shortfall as a loan. This means that every student can receive the same amount of student finance every month.
Parental income decreased
If your parents’ income has decreased by at least 15%, they can request to have the reference year changed to a more recent year. This may mean that you qualify for a (larger) supplementary grant. If this applies to you, please contact our Customer Service Department. We prefer to explain this procedure to you personally.
Problems with your parents
You can request to leave your parents’ income out of consideration completely, for example because you have a serious and persistent conflict with one or both of them. If this applies to you, please contact the department which handles these requests by calling +31 50 599 83 43. We are available on workdays between 10 a.m. and noon. We prefer to explain the procedure to you personally.
Income outside the Netherlands
If your parents have a foreign income, we are often unable to request details from the relevant tax authorities. In these cases they have to notify us yourself. We send them a letter about this every year. In this letter we ask your parents to notify us of their income, and to send us the supporting documents we need. They can do so by post or in Mijn DUO.
Do your parents live in the Dutch Caribbean? Then we first send them a letter asking them to notify us of their income. They only need to do so once. After this, we request details of their income directly from the tax authorities. If the authorities are unable to provide this information, your parents must do so themselves by submitting the Machtiging verklaring inkomstenbelasting.
If there is foreign income, we need an income statement from the tax authorities of that country. This document is also required if your parent has no income.
- Is the income on the statement lower than the equivalent of € 8,000? If so, we need evidence of the additional nontaxable benefits your parent received.
- Is your parent self-employed, and does the income statement not state the profit before tax? Then your parent needs to send a statement from the accountant mentioning the profit before tax.
- Does your parent live outside the EU/EEA and is it not possible to get an income statement from the tax authorities? In that case, your parent must enclose a copy of the annual statement or a copy of all pay slips as evidence.
- Does your parent want to change the reference year to a year that has not yet passed? Then your parent must enclose pay slips from that year for the months that have already passed.
- Are your parents self-employed and have they been granted a deferral in submitting their tax return? Then they need to send a statement of income from their accountant. This must show their full income for the entire year. We do not base our assessment upon their net disposable income.
The statement must be in German, English, French or Dutch. Is the statement in another language? Then have your statement translated and enclose a copy of the original statement.
Are your parents refugees in the reference year? If so, we understand that they cannot supply their income data. Instead, send us a letter about your parents’ situation in the reference year. For instance, are they living in a refugee camp, on the move or staying in a refugee shelter.
Have your parents been recognized as refugees in a safe country? Then we need an income statement from the tax authorities of this country, covering the period from the recognition. If your parents have been recognized as refugees in the Netherlands, you do not need to take any action. We will receive their income data automatically.
Last changes made on 04 mei 2022