Supplementary grant

If you are eligible for student finance, you can apply for a supplementary grant. The supplementary grant depends on your parents’ income. We use their income data from 2 years ago.

How much is it?

Use the calculator (in Dutch only) to find out what the income limit is and how much supplementary grant you can get.


When you apply for student finance, you can apply for the supplementary grant at the same time. You can also apply for it later via Mijn DUO.

Log in to Mijn DUOwith DigiD

Login problems

If you cannot log in to Mijn DUO, then you can use a form. For university or higher education, use Wijzigingen student hoger onderwijs. For secondary vocational education, use Wijzigingen student mbo.

Gift or loan

Your supplementary grant is a gift for your first 5 months of higher education (or the first 12 months of secondary vocational education). The rest will be converted into a gift if you gain your diploma within 10 years.

Not the full supplementary grant?

If you do not qualify for the full supplementary grant, you can still borrow the shortfall as a loan. This means that every student can receive the same amount of student finance every month.

Parental income decreased

If your parents’ income has decreased by at least 15%, they can request to have the reference year changed to a more recent year. This may mean that you qualify for a (larger) supplementary grant. If this applies to you, please contact our Customer Service Department. We prefer to explain this procedure to you personally.

Problems with your parents

You can request to leave your parents’ income out of consideration completely, for example because you have a serious and persistent conflict with one or both of them. If this applies to you, please contact the department which handles these requests by calling +31 50 599 83 43. We are available on workdays between 10 a.m. and noon. We prefer to explain the procedure to you personally.

Income outside the Netherlands

If your parents have a foreign income, we are often unable to request details from the relevant tax authorities. In these cases they have to notify us yourself. We send them a letter about this every year. In this letter we ask your parents to notify us of their income, and to send us the supporting documents we need. They can do so by post or in Mijn DUO.

Income in the Dutch Caribbean

Do your parents live in the Dutch Caribbean? Then we first send them a letter asking them to notify us of their income. They only need to do so once. After this, we request details of their income directly from the tax authorities. If the authorities are unable to provide this information, your parents must do so themselves by submitting the Machtiging verklaring inkomstenbelasting.

Supporting documents of foreign income

The table below shows the supporting documents we need.

  • If your parents have been granted a deferral in submitting their tax return, they need to send us the documents listed under ‘Your parents do not file tax returns’.
  • If your parents are self-employed, they need to send a statement of income from their accountant. This must show their full income for the entire year. We do not base our assessment upon their net disposable income.
Country You file tax returns You do not file tax returns
* If your parents live in Belgium or Germany and also have a Dutch income, they need to submit the annual statement(s) of their Dutch income as well.
Belgium* Copy of 'Aanslag personenbelasting' Copy of 'loonfiche from employer and/or brenefits agency
Germany* Copy of 'Bescheid' Copy of 'Lohnsteuerbescheinigung' and/or 'Leistungsnachweis'
France Copy of 'Avis d'impôt'. In case of a joint tax return, also a copy of 'Déclaration de revenus' Copy of 'Attestation de l'employeur' and/or 'Attestation de l'instance d'allocations'
Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten and the Caribbean Netherlands Statement from the Belastingdienst showing income Statement from the Belastingdienst showing income
Suriname Statement from the Belastingdienst Copy of annual statement from employer and/or benefits agency
Other countries Statement from the relevant tax authorities. If this is not in German, English or French, also provide a translation in Dutch. Statement from employer or benefits agency. If this is not in German, English or French, also provide a translation in Dutch.