DUO fulfils duties in the fields of education, examinations, civic integration and childcare on the instruction of the Minister of Education, Culture and Science and the Minister of Social Affairs and Employment, among others. In the case of most of these duties, DUO is the controller on behalf of these ministers.
In order to help you in the best way possible, we need your personal details. We use these details to fulfil duties laid down by the law. DUO processes your personal details prudently and in accordance with prevailing legislation. In this way we comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which replaced the Personal Data Protection Act (Wbp) on 25 May 2018.
This privacy statement applies to all our customers and the users of our website. DUO's privacy statement may change following new developments. The most recent version of the privacy statement can always be found on our website.
What we do with your personal details
1. Why we process your personal details
We have set out the purposes for which we process your personal details and what they are below. The purposes are:
- the funding of educational establishments
- the granting of student finance, allowances for school fees, lifelong learning credit and civic integration loans
- the collection of course fees and student debts
- the recognition of diplomas and the management of the diploma register
- organizing school, state, civic integration and Wft examinations
- the collection and management of educational data in various registrations
- enriching educational data into information products
- acting as a National Europass Centre in the Netherlands
- the collection and management of data in the childcare registers
- the management of the European register of professional qualifications
- offering functionalities of the DUO website and the Mijn DUO portal
- maintaining contact (with customers and interested parties), including communication via social media
2. The personal data we process
In order to fulfil the aforementioned duties properly, we process the following categories of personal data:
- personal details of yourself and any partners and children such as name, address, place of residence, telephone number and email address
- education-related details such as those about the educational establishment and diploma details
- financial details such as the extent of allowances and the account number
- identification details such as the citizen service number and education number
- details about your contact with DUO such as contact by email
- account details for Mijn DUO such as your username
- technical details such as the IP address and your click and surf behaviour
3. How we obtain your personal details
You provide us with personal details when you submit an application. DUO has a statutory duty to check your details for correctness, for instance with the tax authorities or your local authorities.
DUO also receives personal details from other organizations. What kind of data DUO receives depends on the duty it fulfils. There always has to be a legal ground for receiving this personal data.
Disclosure of your details to third parties
DUO only discloses personal data to other organizations if this is required for the fulfilment of a statutory or public duty.
We disclose your personal details to third parties such as the Dutch Inspectorate of Education, the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration and the police. Other organizations may also ask DUO for data pursuant to their own statutory duty. Organizations such as the municipal department for Social Affairs and Employment, the Tax and Customs Administration and the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) check if someone is, indeed, entitled to social assistance benefit or child benefit. The public prosecutor may also ask us to provide data for a criminal investigation.
DUO will always verify each request against the relevant laws.
Retention periods regarding your data
DUO will never keep your personal data longer than is permitted by law. Furthermore, we remove your personal data when it is no longer needed for the purposes listed above.
Monitoring and fraud control
DUO carries out checks in order to prevent and fight fraud and misuse. DUO checks the correctness of the data you provide by comparing it to data from the Tax and Customs Administration, the local authorities and educational establishments, for instance.
DUO measures and analyses the click behaviour of visitors to the website in order to improve the quality of our digital services. To that end, we use functional and analytical cookies. Cookies are small text files that are installed on your computer when you visit our website. They give us an insight into the operation and effectiveness of our website.
You can block the installation of cookies via the privacy settings of your browser. Disabling cookies may result in a reduced functioning of our website.
The data we collect is kept under our own management.
1. Inspection, correction, removal and objection
If you have access to Mijn DUO, you can inspect the personal data we process. In addition, you can ask DUO to correct and remove your personal data and you can also object to the use thereof.
By virtue of your right of inspection, you can submit a request to find out which personal data DUO processes. The right of correction gives you the option to correct and supplement incorrect and incomplete details. You can also ask us to remove certain personal details. By virtue of the right to object, you can ask for the processing of data to be stopped.
As a data subject, authorized or legal representative, you can submit a request by printing off and sending one of the model letters. We will then assess your request. Within 1 month we will send you an overview of your data held on our records. You can send your request, along with a copy of valid proof of ID, to the address given below. The copy of your proof of ID will be returned to you. If applicable, we need a copy of an authorization or a document that proves statutory representation such as a passport, marriage certificate or judgment.
Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs
Attn. Privacy officer
Kempkensberg 12, kamer N-803
9700 LG Groningen
You can use the following standard letters (in Dutch) for your request:
If you are not happy with how DUO uses your personal details, you can lodge a complaint. You can do this, for instance, when you feel DUO fails to deal with your personal details prudently or if you are not happy with our reply. In that case, please use the complaint form on our website. You can also submit your complaint to the Dutch Data Protection Authority.
If you are not happy with a formal decision of DUO, you can object.
What you can do yourself
We recommend handling your personal details carefully and in confidence and never sharing your login details and personal details. When you use social media, we advise you not to exchange personal details with us. If you receive information from DUO that is not intended for you, please notify DUO immediately so that we can conduct an internal investigation and take measures, if necessary. You can contact us on email@example.com.
Data Protection Officer
DUO has appointed an independent, internal supervisor. This Data Protection Officer ensures that DUO processes personal data in accordance with the law.
Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs
Attn. Data Protection Officer
Kempkensberg 12, kamer N-847
9700 LG Groningen
This privacy statement was most recently changed on 30 May 2018.