You are eligible for a student travel product if you are doing a full-time course at MBO, HBO or university, even if you are not yet 18. Arranging the travel product takes time, so don't wait too long to apply.
What you need
- DigiD Link opent externe pagina : you need a DigiD to apply for the student travel product..
- personal OV-chipkaart Link opent externe pagina : you need a personal OV chip card in order to use the student travel product.
If you are a student from the Caribbean and do not yet have a BSN, you will initially receive a monthly allowance instead of the student travel product.
Let us know as soon as you receive a BSN. We will then arrange the travel product for you to pick up.
Applying for HBO or university
If you are studying at HBO or university, apply for student finance. You will arrange the travel product as well. If you would like to get only the student travel product without a loan, you can specify this during your application.
Applying for MBO
If you are studying at MBO, you must be 18 in order to receive student finance. You can, however, receive the student travel product before you are 18 by applying for it in Mijn DUO.
Linking and collecting the travel product
After you have applied for the student travel product, you still need to link and collect it. Read the step-by-step plan.
- Wait for the welcome e-mail from studentenreisproduct.nl (link in Dutch) Link opent externe pagina . You will receive this e-mail within 6 weeks before your travel product takes effect. If you submit your application later, you will receive the e-mail within 1 week after your application.
- Transfer the details of your personal OV chip card to studentenreisproduct.nl. This is called linking Link opent externe pagina . The welcome e-mail explains how linking works.
- Go to a pick-up machine and load the student travel product onto your OV chip card. In My DUO you can see when you will be able to collect the student travel product from the machine.
If you haven't received the welcome e-mail, go to Studentenreisproduct.nl Link opent externe pagina and find out what to do.
When does it take effect?
The 'Validity' page shows when your travel product takes effect.
Last changes made on 19 september 2023