The basic grant will return in higher education (HBO and university). It is converted into a gift if you obtain your degree within 10 years. If you don’t, you will have to repay the total amount with interest.
- You are enrolled during the 2023-2024 academic year in a degree programme in HBO or university, and
- On 1 September 2023, you are still eligible for student finance in the form of a performance-related grant.
- Are you an EU/EEA citizen or a Swiss citizen? If so, additional conditions apply.
You can see how many months of performance-related grant you are still eligible for in Mijn DUO, under ‘Mijn producten’. If you are only eligible for a student travel product, you are no longer eligible for a basic grant.
Basic grant amounts
- students living at home: €110.30
- students living away from home: €439.20 (€274.90 basic grant + €164.30 temporary increase because of purchasing power compensation)
The reintroduction of the basic grant affects the supplementary grant and the loan. Below are all the student finance amounts from September 2023:
|Living with parents||Living away from home|
|* For the 2023-2024 academic year, the basic grant for students living away from home has temporarily been increased by €164.30 a month.|
|Basic grant||€110.30||€439.20 *|
|Supplementary grant maximum||€416||€416|
|Tuition fees loan||€192.83||€192.83|
|Total student finance||€986.10||€1315|
If you apply in time for the basic grant, it will take effect from 1 September 2023. You can apply for the basic grant for 2023-2024 until August 31, 2024.
Apply for the basic grant yourself
Even if you already receive student finance, you will still have to apply for the basic grant in Mijn DUO.