If you are enrolled in university, higher professional education, or secondary vocational education, you can apply for student finance. You must be a Dutch national or have the same rights. This means non-Dutch can also apply for student finance.

Do you fail to meet the nationality criteria for student finance? Then you may still qualify for a tuition fees loan.


Your eligibility depends on your nationality or residency status, your age and your course.

Different components

Student finance for higher education comprises 4 components: a regular loan, a student travel product, a supplementary grant and a tuition fee loan. If you follow a course in secondary vocational education, you can also get a basic grant.

Single parent

Are you single and raising a child? Then you may be eligible for extra student finance for single parents.

How much is it?

Go to Amounts to find out how much student finance you can get. Student finance is paid around the 24th of each month.

Gift or loan

You always have to pay back the loan. The student travel product and grant are converted into a gift if you graduate within 10 years. Otherwise you have to repay those as well.

Measures coronavirus

Because of the coronavirus, DUO takes a number of measures.